Friday, December 19, 2008

Sadie WIP Updated...

I finally finished my first pet portrait, my angel-dog Sadie. Please scroll down or click here to see her as a work in progress.

Saturday, November 22, 2008


I painted this small piece (8.5" x 12") for the annual painting exchange over at We commit to painting a small watermedia piece and the exchange leaders draw names out of a hat. We then mail them to one another in time for the holidays...a cool way to add to your art collection!

This is watercolor on 300-lb Arches Cold Pressed... just a corner of the den. The door and floor are original (1911), and are unusual because the door is six-panelled, and the floor was repaired many years ago after the kitchen burned in the first half of the century. The coffee grinder is an antique from Avignon, France - an engagement gift from Anthony's cousin. I have sent this little piece to Tom Powell, an incredible artist in Louisville, KY who loves the subtleties of detail as much as I do.

Paints: Ital Venetian Red (DS), Lavender (Holbein), Raw Sienna + Burnt Umber (WN) and transparents French Ultramarine Blue (WN) and Quin Burnt Orange (DS).

Monday, May 19, 2008

The Polyphonic Series

I've had this on my easel for quite some time. I'm taking it public to guilt myself into actually wrapping it up! I whited out some parts that I didn't care for, so keep in mind this is a work in progress. I am digging Golden liquid acrylics bigtime. This one's 3'x 4'. Please see the logic from my previous post on Polyphonic Setting for Angel. This one is the same idea, although I'm not sure I'm gonna add any metallics. The liquid acrylics are giving me much better texture than the tube acrylics I used in Angel's painting, and I would hate to obfuscate it. Plus the colors I chose here are more transparent, so I'm using more of a watercolor glazing technique on the intermediate parts. If I make small mistakes I use rubbing alcohol to touch up.